Friday, September 28, 2007

Bubbles & Whatnot

We seem to have become a little fermentation factory down here at the bernskerns household...

exhibit 1: Brown rice masala dosa batter for dinner...


exhibit II & III: Happy sourdough starters!
There are two, because when I gave up hope on my first one, I couldn't bare to throw it out and then I started another one, and then the first one came back to life. Don't they look like frothy, happy campers? I think tomorrow = teff happens.


exhibit IV: Zatarain's root beer extract. This stuff could be the missing link, really I think it's possible. While I'm not gonna ferment anything with it, I've included it with the other exhibits, because I could if I wanted to. I read an interesting article on home brewed root beer in a recent issue of Gourmet Saveur Magazine (the one with avocados on the front). This is a local product, and I'm really pleased to have been able to pick it up at the regular sto' here. Root beer flavored sweets await...

xo
kittee

6 comments:

  1. Hey that rootbeer article was actually in the issue of Saveur with the avocado on the cover. I only know because I work in a library with a wine and food collection and that issue keeps staring at me every time I walk past that shelf. Do you know anything about brewing good root beer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hella, thanks, I fixed the magazine title. i don't know anything about making homemade root beer, besides what's mentioned in that article.

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  3. dear kittee:
    YAY. the starter on the left looks particularly good. I am glad things worked out. One problem though: you are making me miss ethiopian food sooo much and I cannot get teff here and it will be a while until I am back in Toronto :(
    wishing you much sucess.
    k.

    ReplyDelete
  4. k!
    the one on the left is the orginal starter. my friend hirut checked my blog today, and she said it looked like it was ready for injera!! so with both of you saying it looks good, I'm on for tomorrow. not for injera mind you, but to convert the starter to teff...

    when will you be back in toronto? there are sources online for it and folks who could send it...

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  5. dear kittee
    I am hoping to be there before xmas, but if not I have a number of friends there who would mail me some. I am a big whiner :)

    pay close attention when you add the teff (might want to reserve some of your healthy starter) as the absorption rate of teff will be different than with white. best to add some flour and then slowly add the water until it reaches the desired consistency rather than just dumping X quantity in. Also - fermentation cycle is likely to be somewhat different. I know my rye cycles about 2x as fast as the white.
    looking forward to hearing how it goes.
    k.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.