Sunday, August 26, 2007

Vegan Pal 2

I just signed up for Vegan Swap 2, and I'm pretty excited about it! I've never done a formal swap before, but how can I resist when it's vegan and there are magic yarn balls involved? Holy Crap! I didn't even know about MYBs, until this afternoon, and it just seems so crazy how many cool things can go on in the world and you might not even know what they are. Since it took me so long to figure out what they are, just imagine a pretty skein of yarn that is reworked to contain lots of fun toys, candy and prizes. You start a project with it, and stuff falls out as you work!

If you want to get in on the fun, you'd better hurry. The swap ends soon and fun stuff has to be mailed out by mid October. You also have to answer the following meme and post them on your blog so your swap buddy can see what you like.

What is/are your craft(s), & how long have you been doing it/them?
Oh, um. This is a hard one for me to answer since I usually have my hand in too many pots at once. I crochet and knit. I also like to make mosaics with vintage plates, use glitter, glue gun just about anything, spray paint stuff including onion blossoms, pasta, electrical outlet plates, mirror frames and bottle caps. I also like to sew basic clothes like skirts, make home-made bias tape and wear black pom poms in my hair.

Are you a vegan, vegetarian, veg-curious, veg-friendly or other?
I am vegan and have been since 1990. I was vegetarian for two years before that.

Is this your first swap, or have you done previous swaps before? What makes a swap enjoyable for you?

This is my first swap!

What is/are your favorite color(s)? Do you particularly dislike any color(s)?
I like most colors. I have favorite color combos like greens with blues and pinks with reds. I don't really care for color combos with black, although I like black by itself or with glitter. I also don't really like neon colors or tie-dye type stuff.

Do you have any allergies (such as pets, foods, fibers or cigarette smoke)?
No allergies, although I prefer stuff that does not smell like cigarettes, since I don't smoke.

Do you have any companion animals? If so, name(s) and type(s)?*

Do you collect anything?
Yea, I love collecting stuff. I have a pretty large collection of vintage Pyrex dishes, and I freak out over Japanese anthropomorphic fruit. I also have a lot of old sewing patterns, and I adore pink kitchen asessories.

Do you have a favorite vegan food, snack or dish?

I love ethnic dishes. Especially South Indian and Ethiopian cuisines. If it's vegan, I'll probably love it, although I am not big on junk food. Candy is fun, but I have to monitor myself!

What are some of your favorite/least favorite tastes/flavors? (e.g. sweet, salty, chocolate, crunchy, smooth, tart, sour, spicy, Thai, whatever - Help your pal get a feel for what kind of recipes you might like and/or never ever make.)
Oh, I think I'm pretty easy. I love sweet, sour, tart, savory, crunchy, all the things above! It's pretty hot where I live, so chocolate might not travel too well...

What tools/supplies/accessories for your craft(s) are you wishing you had but don't? Also, what do you have TOO many of? (basically a wish and anti-wish list).
I could never have too many vintage buttons (especially old plastic ones), thread, ric-rac, hem tape, old cute patches and glitter glue sticks. I can't think of anything I have too much of in my craft room.

Are you on Ravelry? What's your handle?

Is there anything else you would like your pal to know about you?
Stuff made from vinyl and pompoms, equals good! I also have extremely thick, curly hair, so dainty barrettes are out.

What scents do you like/dislike?
I don't like to wear scented things, but I do love Nag Champa and Meyer cleaning products.

Do you prefer fall or Halloween or some other Autumn theme?
I probably prefer Fall over Halloween items, unless it's eatable or something that can be used to make food like a cool cookie cutter, or brain shaped gelatin mold.

Just for fun - tell your favorite Halloween or Autumn related memory.
When I was little we used to go out trick or treating en mass with the neighborhood kids. I loved ditching my small plastic pumpkin for a pillow case, I thought I was really cool, and it was awesome how much candy I could fit in it. I also used to teach Montessori school, and visiting the pumpkin patch every year was always my favorite field trip.



  1. I LOVE your food photos. Thanks for joining the swap!

  2. Howdy, partner. I'm excited that I'll be sending to you.

    Your knitting in public pic was adorable, by the way.

  3. hello dear upstreamer!
    i'm sorry i haven't replied to your message until now. i didn't think you'd return to my blog to check for a reply. so if you have come back, hello! post back again and then we can keep in touch. i'm excited about this swap!



I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.