Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Trinidadian Hot Sauce

Our garden has produced pretty well this year. Much better than the previous summers we've lived here. We've gotten some Asian eggplant, cukes, some yellow bells, Creole tomatoes, lots of herbs, a few figs and millions upon millions of jalapenos. I've been leaving them on the stalk so they turn red, and then collecting them in bowls in the kitchen. They're so freakin' hot, that i haven't done much with them, and I wanted to use them up before they went bad (besides the fruit flies are driving me bonkers, since the peppers have been hanging out awhile).


I remembered reading a recipe in Madhur Jaffrey's, World Vegetarian for a red pepper paste from Trinidad, so I popped the book open and tripled the recipe. Now my jalapenos are super hot, I knew that I would suffer some really bad hand burns if I attempted the recipe without protection. I found an old latex glove under the kitchen sink (for one hand) and used a big plastic bag that was lying around (for the other). It worked out well, but now I'm afraid to touch things in the kitchen (like the button on my blender). The finished hot sauce came out well, it has tons of flavor, not just heat. My favorite is the addition of mustard powder, it's what makes hot sauce from the West Indies unique.

2 comments:

  1. yay! i'm excited for your blog! i've put it on my google reader. i'm excited about my google reader.

    i thought when doubling or tripling recipes with the hot, hot chilies, one wasn't supposed to double or triple the chilies themselves. i thought that chilies got exponentially hotter not basic multiplication hotter. did you find that to be true?

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear, darling, mmmmmmmmmie,
    i've never heard that chilies get exponentially hotter, when i made the hot sauce, it didn't come out too hot at all. it's rather perfect. do you have any scientific facts or peer reviewed journal articles i could see that back up your post?

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.