Saturday, August 25, 2007

tofu burgers, take one

I have a tofu burger formula that I really like. It's modeled closely after a recipe in New Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant, but it's pretty fatty so I don't make it a lot. If I remember correctly, it's got the usual tofu burger stuff in it, plus some nut butter, walnuts and toasted sesame oil. Since I'm currently in reduction mode, I thought I'd try something new today.
These babies are currently in the oven, I'll report back with results, but I think they'll be good since the texture seemed right on. Next time, I'll probably add a spot of liquid smoke or maybe some prepared horseradish.

In a bowl, mix everything together. Pat about 1/4 cup packed tofu stuff firmly into burger shapes and place on an oiled cookie sheet and sprinkle with paprika. Mine fetched eleven burgers.
  • 16 oz x-tra firm tofu, squeezed to reduce liquid as much as possible.
  • 1 cup cooked black beans (I used leftovers from the fridge.)
  • 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
  • 1 teaspoon or so of Tony Chachere's SALT FREE seasoning (this is great stuff, but it gets in my nose when I use it.)
  • 3 big chard leaves (use thick veins, steam quickly, chop finely and squeeze to get out liquid)
  • 1 tablespoon ground flax-meal
  • 1 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
  • 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
  • 2 tablespoons coarse prepared mustard
  • 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
  • season to taste with pepper-mill and salt
Speaking of paprika. Pimenton de la Vera is my new favorite spice. It's smoked paprika, and it has a sweet smoky essence that tastes really really good.

1 comment:

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.