Thursday, August 2, 2007

Sweets for the Sweets

I'm running around like mad, I have a plane to catch this afternoon for a week in PDX. I'm meeting some friends in Portland, and wanted to bring them a little something-something from New Orleans. I decided upon pralines, since we're known for those down here, they're easy to make, and I have a recipe on Pakupaku that I really like.

Trouble! The pralines came out tasty, which is the most important thing, but I cooked them too high. These got about 245F instead 239F, and there's a big difference between the two temperatures when you're making candy. They set up so fast, they lost the sweet glossy top they're supposed to have. I had to use my small ice cream scooper and scoop, scoop, scoop as fast as I could. It's sorta profound really. I'm bringing little fucked up pralines from little fucked up New Orleans. Ah!

Dazee's makin' 42 this Sunday! Since I'll be away (we'll celebrate when I get back), I wanted to make him something sweet he could dip into on his birthday. We couldn't wait (well, I couldn't wait), so we cut some slices last night. This recipe is your basic chocolate tofu pie that's been floating around the interwebs since it's incarnation. The best part was the peanut butter bottom, I tried to get a good shot so you could appreciate it too. Plus this was super-fast, and I didn't have to bake anything, it's in the 90s here, so that's important!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
2 boxes silken tofu
12 oz semi sweet vegan chocolate chips
3 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 pre-made chocolate cookie crumb crust (or you could make a graham cracker crust)

Soften peanut butter in microwave and gently spread on bottom and sides of crust. Place tofu in blender. Melt chips over a double boiler, add to tofu and blend till smooth. Add maple syrup and vanilla, blend. Pour tofu over the peanut butter and chill 'till firm.


  1. mmm, I want to eat that pie!

  2. thank you for the pralines that sent sugar coarsing through our veins!

  3. You are the cutest and sweetest vegan celebrity chef in the whole world! Have a blast in Portland.

  4. yum! what a fab new blog! i can hide from all the scary lj bug pics here!


I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.