Thursday, August 23, 2007

Ethiopian in August


The masala dosas were good, but I'm still feeling guilty. Every year for dazee's birthday, I usually make shitloads of Ethiopian food and have a party for him. This year I couldn't justify shipping all that injera down here, and Hirut, who used to run a little Ethiopian cafe, is not in business. I want to try my own injera, I know it's tricky, but I think I can do it.

I almost bought a bag of Bob's Red Mill teff flour when I was in Cleveland this week, but it's almost 8 bux for a wee sack. That just seemed wrong. I'll look online and see if I can find something better. If all else fails, I'll be in Chicago for a few days soon, maybe I can bring both back then.


This platter is from last year's hoo-haw. It's lined with the injera (fermented teff bread) and topped with wot (stews): doro wot (a spicy fake chicken stew in a tomato and red wine based sauce), red lentils, gingered vegetables (cabbage, carrots, potatoes and green beans), yellow split peas, collard greens and salad. Many of these recipes are listed on pakupaku, but the recipes are horribly outdated and I've somehow never managed to write down how I make the vegetables and the doro wot.

Lots of you have already seen the infamous Ethiopian Dinner Party Dance, but for those that have somehow missed out, here's Curtis and I giving you the moves. It's filmed and narrated by my friend Eve Troeh, who just moved from New Orleans. You should listen to some of her pieces on Public Radio. She is the hott.

xo
kittee

7 comments:

  1. you are so cute!! i love the dances!

    i am embarassed to admit that i've never had ethiopian food. please come cook for me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cleveland!? you could've stopped by for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey mr. tofu!
    yup, my two BFF from college live in cleveland. we all went to denison which is down near columbus--so i've spent quite a bit of time in the great land o' buckeyes. did you fare well through all that rain? did you ever go to a little vegetarian restaurant in downtown berea? next to alan gallery?

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  4. hola! i followed a link to this page and thanks so much for having mine up there :) and also, thanks so much for the freaking hunger attack over your pictures! it's so funny- we are going to ethiopian tonight and you just sealed the deal. delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. we contemplated building an ark with all the rain, but it was really bad towards to Toledo.

    We never did make it to that place in Berea...

    next time you're in our neck of the woods PM me on PPK, and we can get some Ethiopian food...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Ethiopian food! It looks yummy! Cheers from Fruity

    ReplyDelete
  7. if you don't manage to get any teff in chicago, i work at a coop which sells a few brands of teff flour (which i get a discount on), and there are a lot of markets around mpls that sell teff. perhaps we could arrange a mailing swap, if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.