Friday, August 24, 2007

Cookie Friday

Ah, yes. So there was some cookie baking happening today. Sorta a multi-task endeavor, really. The New Orleans Fake Egg Squad was at task on our next cookie war, plus there's a vegan secret cafe benefit dinner tomorrow night for Nowe Miasto. We decided to make things easier on ourselves, and will donate the results of our experimentation to the dinner, instead of making more stuff. The Wars have been padding my behind, so I'll be glad to get them out of the house quickly. We decided to pair almond studded cookies with a plain bottom and will fill them with a colored almond flavored buttercream. Since I'm pretty certain there is Universal Love for creme filled cookies, I feel pretty good these will turn out good lookin'. Nowe Miasto was/will soon be again a wonderful cooperative living space here in NOLA. It was hit extremely hard when the levees failed two years ago. It flooded from the bottom, and their roof failed, so water came from the top too. It had to be gutted and basically will need to be rebuilt.
This will be the second benefit secret cafe dinner, and we're expecting about 100 folks to come. If you're reading this from New Orleans, the dinner will be tomorrow night at The Green Project (upstairs). My friend Andy is organizing the event, and he wants to stick with Southern food, so I think I'll be baking up some Mac 'n Cheeze to bring too.

The cookies? These are a fluffy sugar cookie variety, versus the rolled sugar cookies that are usually made into cutouts and frosted with icing and sprinkles, you know--around the holidays. I'd guess you could say they are more like snickerdoodles, but I haven't tried any so I can't confirm that. I'm a little confused about why these are called sugar cookies, but I guess it's an apt name, since I'm not sure what else these could be called. It's sorta non descript--yup, they've got sugar in 'em! Anyway, my job on the team is to use 1/4 cup applesauce for each egg with an additional teaspoon of baking powder added. I've found applesauce cookies typically take a few minutes longer to bake, but otherwise they usually have really great results in recipes that call for 1-2 eggs. I'm pretty amazed I got 48 cookies out of the recipe, since it's exactly what the recipe says it should make. That never happens to me, but I guess that's because I usually keep my fingers in the bowl half the time.

1 comment:

  1. the only difference (that i know of) between sugar cookies and snickerdoodles is that snickerdoodles are rolled in cinnamon and sugar before being baked. and sometimes they have cinnamon in the batter. but i think that varies. they MUST be rolled in cinnamon though. mmmmm... snickerdoodles are my favorites!
    if you didn't seem sick of cookies i would send you some.


I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.